Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reflecting at the end of the course

This year in art class all started for me when we planted the seeds in our sketch book. To me it symbolized how we will grow as an artist and as we look back it's amazing to see how the earliest seed was not as detailed or all the same color and shade. The ones further in the book were much more meaningful. We took our sketchbooks outside and started drawing different objects that we found interesting. Although mine didn't come out perfectly I really liked how it was my choice to decide what I wanted to draw. That's what is my favorite part of art. The creativity and excitement of never knowing just exactly what will come out. So many times during the course of these two terms did I start out with one idea and it turn into a totally different piece of art all together. For example, our last project with the pencil drawings. My idea from the beginning was to create a dancer who was looking up into the spotlight. As I searched for pictures of a dancer and spotlights the google search showed a picture of car headlights. This image really scared me. The fear and symbolic potential right away changed my idea. In art I have learned that creativity goes much farther beyond just do what you want. It's how one little detail can ruin or make a drawing. It's the passion you put into your work, the excitement, and the care taken. As far as ups and downs go I definitely knew what projects I was better at. I really enjoyed the principles of design projects because I love to create collages and make everything symmetrical and just right. Creating self-portraits was hard for me to do because I could never get my head perfectly right or draw my nose the way I wanted it or my eyes the right length apart. I suppose without these flaws I would never have been able to learn what I really enjoyed about art. I believe that art is always in your life, whether you want it to be or not. Creativity, excitement, passion, textures, and shapes. I truly don't know how it all ends but then again how can you? Art is always in ones life it's just how they use the opportunities set forth to direct someone's journey of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment